Selected Entries 2017
INTEGRATED HANDLOOM CENTER: A PLATFORM FOR THE WEAVERS
BRAC University | Dhaka
Handloom/ তাঁতশিল্প, the tradition of weaving clothes by hands, is one of the richest aspects of Bangladeshi culture and heritage .Traditionally being the largest rural industry in Bangladesh, it is the second largest source of rural employment and income after agriculture and is responsible for a very high percentage of the nation’s economy. However, today, this prospective commerce is facing threats of extinction because of various problems and obstructions, thus compelling the weavers to leave their holistic profession, weaving.
Glorious past, confusing present and questionable future; is the ultimate harsh truth that handloom, the biggest handicraft industry of our country is facing now. This project discusses the approach chosen for the benefit of the weavers’ community by taking inspiration from the past and implementing it for the future, thus adding to its potential. It’s like an institution within itself which benefits the entire complex as one unified whole.
This handloom center, informal and accommodating of the weavers’ language is basically an interactive platform for the welfare of the weavers’ community, and in greater aspect for the entire country. To promote the development and sustainability of the traditional textiles and its products by creating a handloom settlement for the weavers of our country with proper civic arrangements and functions is the main objective of this project. It is an attempt to preserve the rich heritage of the textiles of Bangladesh and save it from the clutch of extinction.
The aims and objectives of this project are-
- To identify and locate the different types of handlooms and their products and associated crafts situated all over in Bangladesh and identify their traces.
- To encourage the weavers and artisans by providing them an exposure to the customers, that is, urban patrons.
- To identify their problems and limitations and the reason behind their movement and unwillingness to work further.
- To work according to the outcomes and help in revitalizing the industry again.
- To provide a common ground for the easy communication of weavers and designers, students, enthusiasts and buyers across the globe so that there is a direct connection and everything works as an integrated whole.
- To promote, enrich, nourish and enlighten the audience about our well-known textile heritage of our country.
- To educate the normal people of our country about the importance of local traditional handlooms and its beauty.
The main concept of this project emerged during interaction with the weavers. The entire scenario demanded public access and a direct connection between the weavers and the public mass, which has been an essential aspect of the design.