Selected Entries 2017
Room For Enlightenment
VIT | Pune
The main architectural and psychological concern while dealing with such a sensitive issue is adapting to the vocabulary, in terms of spaces, activities, interaction the way those students are used to. No student can be forced to be in a space and get enlightened by it the way one wants it to. For any student who has always been exposed to freedom it is crucial to scale down the freedom enough for him to lead a better life ahead. Thus spaces that would attract a student and would encourage and direct him to a better life ahead become essentials. According to child psychology, the quality of a space dictates their thought process. Liberal spaces have at times allowed their uncontrolled freedom to be used in directionless or harmful ways. Under null guidance the students tend to not channelize their thoughts and talent in a positive way and lose the plot. Hence the identified concern was to establish spaces that instigate a mind to follow the path of a new journey for their better future. To create spaces that force the soul to think positively, spaces that the children relate better to, spaces that the children can be creative and innovative in, spaces where the kids can live their childhood tension freely. The spaces could be scaled right from something that is essential to suffice their daily needs like a toilet / bath which would further encourage them to join this school of enlightenment. Such subordinate spaces would then act as catalysts and trigger the transformation of students as intended.
– Architecture produced is site less, i.e. It has no Physical Boundaries, yet, it includes an important layer, which is Intangible, which defines certain boundaries for the street child guiding him/her for his/her development, thus defining the Boundaries.
– The architecture evolved is an attempt to create a setup for this neglected part of the society which acts as a catalyst for leading them towards a better life.
– Architecture produced is subtle with incompleteness where freedom is given to each individual street child and the patrons who complete the architecture and the activities create the complete picture of the ROOM.
– In spite of being a small intervention, it has a potential to get converted into a larger thing creating a major difference.
– The ROOM is designed where the envelope is treated in such a way that it is acting as an institution where teachers may not like to come but the building itself is trying to act as a teacher.
– Considering this as an opportunity, and considering the role as an architect, the way in which this architectural resolution is being converted into a teacher is a real demonstration.
– Along with the Street Children, who are the future of India, the attempt is also to contribute for the neighbourhood in terms of quality of life and showing how small inserts can also help in defining a city and defining the nation.
– Architectural Resolution produced is Adaptable and Scalable. Therefore, could be used in many cities and also in villages where quick setup of school is required thus extending Physical Boundaries.
Thus, in order to create an own identity and overcome many of the problems for the children, there’s a need to provide a space for them where they can learn and develop some skills. Therefore there should be ROOM for Enlightenment: a possibility or hope, that someone or something will help street children improve.